Busca avançada
Ano de início
Entree
(Referência obtida automaticamente do Web of Science, por meio da informação sobre o financiamento pela FAPESP e o número do processo correspondente, incluída na publicação pelos autores.)

The coming of age of conservation genetics in Latin America: what has been achieved and what needs to be done

Texto completo
Autor(es):
Torres-Florez, Juan Pablo [1] ; Johnson, Warren E. [2] ; Nery, Mariana F. [3] ; Eizirik, Eduardo [4] ; Oliveira-Miranda, Maria A. [5] ; Galetti, Jr., Pedro Manoel [1]
Número total de Autores: 6
Afiliação do(s) autor(es):
[1] Univ Fed Sao Carlos, Dept Genet & Evolucao, BR-13565905 Sao Carlos, SP - Brazil
[2] Natl Zool Pk, Smithsonian Conservat Biol Inst, Front Royal, VA 22630 - USA
[3] Univ Estadual Campinas, Dept Genet Evolucao & Bioagentes, Campinas, SP - Brazil
[4] Pontificia Univ Catolica Rio Grande do Sul, Fac Biociencias, Porto Alegre, RS - Brazil
[5] Provita, Direct Res & Dev, Apartado Postal 47552, Caracas 1041A - Venezuela
Número total de Afiliações: 5
Tipo de documento: Artigo de Revisão
Fonte: CONSERVATION GENETICS; v. 19, n. 1, p. 1-15, FEB 2018.
Citações Web of Science: 3
Resumo

Genetic research is a well-recognized component of understanding biodiversity and is an invaluable approach for documenting and mitigating increasingly high rates of loss. Here we present a quantitative synthesis of conservation genetics science in Latin America and its progress, focusing on evolving trends on different taxonomic groups, environments and markers. We reviewed 528 conservation genetics research papers published in 57 journals from 1992 to 2013. Brazil and Mexico were the most represented countries in the literature and there was a marked disparity between terrestrial (similar to 64%) and aquatic-marine research (similar to 36%). More than a third or the articles focused on plants (similar to 35%) while the other (65%) were animal studies with a clear emphasis on mammals (35%) and bony fishes (24%). Most research (42%) addressed patterns of population structure, while 17% focused on genetic diversity issues and 14% focused on the description of novel genetic markers. Finally, although genetics has become an integral part of conservation biology, genetic analyses have often not been completely integrated into the development of conservation and management strategies and formal policies. We discuss the levels to which these types of studies can effectively contribute to biodiversity conservation in this region, and offer suggestions on how conservation genetic approaches may be used more broadly, enhancing the connectivity between scientists and policy makers. (AU)

Processo FAPESP: 13/23198-0 - Modificação do uso da terra e seu possível impacto na conectividade funcional e estrutura populacional de um hospedeiro de doença zoonótica: o caso do capivara no Estado de São Paulo
Beneficiário:Juan Pablo Torres Flores
Modalidade de apoio: Bolsas no Brasil - Pós-Doutorado
Processo FAPESP: 14/12681-5 - Modificação do uso da terra e seu possível impacto na conectividade funcional e estrutura populacional da capivara, um importante hospedeiro de doença zoonótica
Beneficiário:Pedro Manoel Galetti Junior
Modalidade de apoio: Auxílio à Pesquisa - Pesquisador Visitante - Internacional