Advanced search
Start date
Betweenand
(Reference retrieved automatically from Web of Science through information on FAPESP grant and its corresponding number as mentioned in the publication by the authors.)

Modeling the environmental susceptibility of landfill sites in California

Full text
Author(s):
Nascimento, Victor Fernandez ; Yesiller, Nazli ; Clarke, Keith C. ; Henry Balbaud Ometto, Jean Pierre ; Andrade, Pedro R. ; Sobral, Anahi Chimini
Total Authors: 6
Document type: Journal article
Source: GIScience & Remote Sensing; v. 54, n. 5, p. 657-677, 2017.
Web of Science Citations: 3
Abstract

The proper management of solid waste (SW) is a global environmental challenge. A major issue is the proper disposal of SW while balancing a wide range of criteria and working with different spatial data. In this study, we used geographic information system as a tool to perform multi-criteria decision analysis with an analytical hierarchy process to develop an environmental impact susceptibility model (EISM) for landfills. The model was applied to the state of California, USA and results are presented herein. In particular, the EISM considers factors such as geology, pedology, geomorphology, water resources, and climate as represented by 13 associated environmental indicators. The results of the EISM indicate that more than 75% of California's territory is situated in areas with very low, low, and medium environmental impact susceptibility categories. However, in the remaining 25% of the state's land, 61 landfills are located in the high and very high categories. These results are alarming because during the period from 2000 to 2015, these 61 landfills received approximately 308 million tons of SW, which corresponds to more than 57% of all SW disposed in California. The model results can be used toward mitigating the environmental impacts of these facilities. (AU)

FAPESP's process: 15/24344-6 - Spatial modeling for the study of environmental impacts caused by the disposal of municipal solid waste on a regional scale
Grantee:Victor Fernandez Nascimento
Support type: Scholarships abroad - Research Internship - Doctorate
FAPESP's process: 13/09039-7 - Development of spatial model for solid waste management for the State of São Paulo using TerraME
Grantee:Victor Fernandez Nascimento
Support type: Scholarships in Brazil - Doctorate